Interesting bit of into reported by the Associated Press yesterday ...
A research project conducted by The New England Historic Genealogical Society recently uncovered some remarkable family connections for the three US presidential candidates. Of them all, the lineage of Barack Obama is most associated with political power.
Obama’s list of (very) distant cousins (inc cousin’s "once or twice-removed") include:
- President George W Bush
- former President George HW Bush
- former President Gerald Ford
- former President Lyndon Johnson
- former President Harry Truman
- James Madison
- Vice President Dick Cheney
- former British Prime Minister Sir Winston Churchill
- US Civil War General Robert Lee.
Not bad, eh?
Source: The New England Historic Genealogical Society. The article "Ancestry of the presidential candidates" can be found on their webpage at http://www.newenglandancestors.org/